Saturday, April 3, 2010

Whistler Bungee Jump



This was something I had planned to do for a while, but was never inspired to jump, until I read about Whistler Bungee Jump. I knew I would be on a work trip in Vancouver, so I decided to extend my business trip by a couple of days and make it out to Whistler. Instead of snowboarding or skiing, I decided to go bungee jumping. I knew that I never wanted to jump off those crane style jumps, I knew I wanted it to be over a river, in a canyon and around great scenery. This place had it all!!

There are a couple of other places I wouldn't mind jumping, one is in New Zealand and the other is in Zimbabwe right beside Victoria Falls. These places, like Whistler, have all the ingredients to make the jump a little more adventurous and exhilarating!!

Once I was on the bridge waiting to jump, I didn't feel nervous if anything more anxious. The wait was worse than the jump...

I stepped on the ledge, the guy counted backwards from 5, and I was off. I choose to jump backwards, the logic being that it would give me more of a rush, since you have no idea where the ground is and you are somewhat blinded. It definitely was a rush, and after the jump was over, you have this adrenalin pump and you are looking for what else you can jump!!!

The initial free fall was awesome, as I was screaming like an excited kid all the way down. Once you make it to the bottom, around 10 metres from the water, you think it's over, but it isn't. The bounce back up is even worse, then you float mid-air, like in a Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote cartoon. It feels like you are in one spot for seconds, and then "poof", like in the cartoon, that smoke image appears, and you fall back down. You almost feel like you are looking at the camera, and have time to hold up a "help me!!" sign. This happens probably 3 times after the initial first jump.

Once you are a little stabilized, they send down a rope with a clip, you clip yourself in, and they drag you back up.


No comments: